Welcome to the community @Stran! ![]()
Thanks for flagging. I’ll follow up with you in a DM to collect a few more details.
Hi! I have multiple recurring payments from YMCA and TD Insurance that were not correctly identified as recurring transactions. In total, 6 YMCA transactions and 1 TD Insurance transaction are affected.
For TD Insurance, the second recurring payment was eventually recognized correctly and earned 2% cashback. However, all of my YMCA recurring payments have consistently received only 0.5% cashback, and I expect future YMCA payments will continue to be treated the same way unless this issue is fixed.
I can only attach one screenshot here, but it includes the relevant transactions. Could you please adjust the cashback for the affected transactions, and ensure that future YMCA recurring payments are correctly recognize
d as recurring?
I’d really appreciate it if this could be resolved as soon as possible. Thank you very much for your help!
Welcome to the Neo Community! @zbh531
Thanks for reaching out and sharing these details. I have been able to look into the transactions you mentioned. I’m glad to see your TD Insurance payments are now earning the correct recurring cashback rate. As for the YMCA transactions, the cashback rate for any transaction is entirely determined by the Merchant Category Code (MCC) that the business sets up with Mastercard. In this case, the YMCA is registered under a general civic and social membership category rather than a recurring billing category. Because of how they are registered on the Mastercard network, these transactions don’t automatically fall into the recurring tier, meaning they correctly earned the standard base cashback rate.
Hi Yeni! Thanks for looking into this. I understand that recurring cashback depends on how the merchant is categorized. However, I noticed another post in this community ( 💡 What counts as a recurring payment for cashback? Let’s break it down! ) that specifically lists YMCA as an example of merchants that are typically categorized as recurring.
Because of that, I was expecting my YMCA membership payments to qualify for the recurring cashback rate as well.
That’s a super fair point, and I completely understand why you expected that cashback based on that post. We recently updated how recurring cashback is determined. It’s now based on the merchant category code (MCC) assigned to the transaction by the merchant and Mastercard, rather than just whether a payment happens automatically or on a recurring schedule.
For YMCA transactions, they’re currently coming through under a membership category, which doesn’t fall under the MCCs that qualify for recurring cashback. That’s why they’re receiving the standard cashback rate.
Based on everything in the thread, it’s probably an MCC code. It’s probably sending as “business software” or something. Want me to check it?
Yes, I’m pretty sure it comes up as Software. Does that disqualify it from a recurring bill payment?
Yeah, that’s exactly what’s happening. It’s just that the merchant is sending the wrong MCC code. The full list of codes should be here, if you’re interested: https://static.production.neofinancial.com/marketing-web/legal/en-CA/MCC%20Code%20Descriptions.pdf


